Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Polish Pottery book?

I have always been addicted to books. I blame it on my mother, who used to take me to the public library with her when I was a child. While she loaded up on several novels to satisfy her speed-reading abilities for the week, I wandered throughout the library, and discovered the joy of learning.

When I wandered away to college and later up to Alaska for a summer job, I called my Mom one Sunday afternoon and asked her what was going on back in the Northeast corner of Kansas, where I was raised. She shared the normal gossip about work and friends, but before hanging up, she mentioned, “Oh, and I discovered Polish Pottery!” “Polish Pottery? What is that?” I asked. She then leapt into a description of its vibrant kobalt blues and playful circular patterns. “You mix and match all the patterns, and they all go together! You really should look it up, you would love it!” she said. Doubtfully, I replied, “Umm…okay…well…is there a book about it?” When she said “No,” I was dumbfounded. “What? No book?” In my little world, it seemed that anything worth knowing about could be found in a book. But alas, my subsequent searches for a history of, or better explanation of, Polish Pottery were fruitless.

A trip to Kansas that coming winter introduced me personally to my Mother’s expanding Polish Pottery collection. Wow—she was obsessed! And after she served a few meals with these Polish Dishes, I was also hooked! Within a few years later, my husband and I had our hands deep into the world of Polish Pottery business, but we had to learn everything through the school of hard knocks.

There are hundreds upon hundreds of Polish Pottery patterns, and rather than give them individual names, all factories label their patterns with numbers. To make it easy on American collectors, American retailers each give the patterns names, such as Mosquito, Peacock, Blue Floral, Valley, Forget Me Not, etc. But with each retailer naming the pieces their own made-up names, it has made a lot of confusion for buyers trying to shop around for the best deals.

Now wouldn't it be dream-like if someone published a comprehensive book with ALL of the factories listed, and photos of ALL of their patterns, codes, shapes, etc?! It would be a TON of work, I know...and they'd probably have to republish the book each week, since the companies are always growing, expanding, and changing their Polish Stoneware collection!

Alas...a woman can dream!

No comments: