Saturday, December 1, 2007

Polish Pottery Obsession


The Polish Pottery obsession began when my mom first came home with a long-awaited soup tureen, which as it turned out, was her first piece of Boleslaweic pottery. Her obsession began quickly, and she kept mentioning this unique pottery through our phone conversations. My interest piqued...and I looked it up online.

Hmm...interesting...and very beautiful! But to see photos of it is nothing like USING it, and FEELING it!

So, when I came home for Christmas years ago with my husband, we immediately fell in love with it! Truth is, she made Popeye Pancakes in it (something she had ALWAYS made in her white Cornell baker), which was a meal I had claimed since going to college that I didn't really like. But this time it was in POLISH POTTERY, and it was delicious! A interesting coincidence? I think not!

Now my mom is an addict. Taking her to a Polish Pottery store is like taking a kid to a candy store...you have a hard time getting her to keep her hands to herself! (After all, her kitchen is FULL of Polish Pottery, but she still wants more! But who can blame her...you can never have enough of Polish ceramics!) The great thing is, I think my dad is addicted as well.

It seems to happen to the men, too! I met one man this past summer who was encouraging his wife to buy more and more Polish Pottery. And you know what his reasoning was? He said "I am the dishwasher...and nothing cleans up easier than this stuff!" I hadn't thought of pitching that concept to men before...but now I think I have a new way to catch men's attention, too!

So, Mom hooked my dad, they hooked my husband (and me), and we are currently hooking our 20 month old girl who things that Polish Pottery is a great noise-making toy (when clinked together, of course)! Sure she looks so sweet and demure in the photo above, but the truth is she's a feisty red-head who loves to play dangerously with the pottery, and hide goodies inside of the Polish jars. So, it seems that this obsession is becoming a family tradition! Who's next? Perhaps a family that actually has some Polish descent in their blood?

No comments: